- The issue of the Repair Fund / 12A compliance as explained earlier in Feb 2016: Updates
- A statutorily required Structural Audit (required for all buildings more than 30 years old), had just been completed and extensive repairs were recommended at an initially estimated cost of Rs 60 lacs (as computed by the structural engineer); certain repairs (like plaster falling off the hall ceiling, demolition of dilapidated structures in the compound) were recommended to be done on an urgent basis as there was threat to life & limb
- The Cultural & Recreation sub-committee, who were planning for the Thanksgiving Mass, requested the Managing Council if the repair / renovation of the Hall, Bathrooms & Compound could be taken up before the function planned for April 2, 2016, as the premises were in a really bad state; not much attention was paid to repairs while the KCA was in ‘hibernation’ for the previous 7 years
Given the time constraints in calling for a General Body Meeting, after much debate, the council decided to go ahead with certain repairs & renovations strictly within the rules of the KCA, without contravening Rule 11(b), on the following basis:
- The work would be done on a time & material (T&M) basis; no contract would be awarded
- The KCA would buy material directly from vendors & directly hire labour for specific work like carpenters, masons, electricians etc
- 3 quotations would be taken for specific pieces of work where vendors were appointed and wherever considered practical.
- All payments to be made strictly by cheque
- TDS to be deducted on all payments
- The Managing Council to closely monitor, review & approve the work from time to time
This amount was spent from the repair fund and has been categorised as Urgent Repairs (Rs 5,03,835) and Renovations / Improvements (Rs 16,14,112) respectively. A summary of the amount expended is provided in the table below:
Members may also note that the entire expenditure has been audited by our Statutory Auditors, Gonsalves & Associates. Further, the Legal & Finance Committee of the KCA, which is independent of the Managing Council, has reviewed & approved of the expenditure.