Founded in 1901, the Kanara Catholic Association has a long and proud history, with a rich legacy of service to the Kanaraite community in Mumbai. Over the years this has evolved to a much broader canvas, reaching out to all sections of society, especially with the establishment of the KCA Hostel & Halls. With ‘Fostering a spirit of unity, friendship, and self-help among Members‘ as its laudable objective, ‘Vis Unita Fortior‘ (with Unity – Forever Forward) as its appropriate motto, the KCA has come a long way since its humble beginnings.
Starting out as representative association of Kanara Catholics in Mumbai, the spirit of enterprise, a hallmark of many Mangalorean Catholics, shone through, with the establishment of many affiliated organisations (including a Cooperative Credit Society, an Educational Cooperative Society etc) and endeavours (a Hall & Hostel in Bandra, a Sports Club, St Anthony’s League for Social outreach etc).
KCA Hall & Hostel, ‘Yuvakalaya‘ Building
The opening of the KCA Community Halls & Hostel for Young Men in 1969, was a proud & important milestone in the journey of the KCA.
A Special souvenir was also brought out in 1994 on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of the Hall & Hostel which you can download from that section.
Many luminaries from the community have served as office bearers & been instrumental in establishing the KCA as an institution of repute & pride for the community. The current generation of KCA members owe a debt to the many people who, over the years, have been generous with their time, expertise & money to make the KCA what it is today – an institution that we can all be proud of!
The list of Office Bearers from 1901 to 2017 can viewed or downloaded.